IBEW 1245 Organizing Stewards are appointed by the Business Manager and President to advance the union’s leadership program and organizing activities. The position was created by the Executive Board in 2013 and is currently in its tenth year.
Organizing Stewards dedicate time and energy to IBEW 1245’s organizing activities and campaigns, and recruit and mobilize others to join them, working closely with the team of IBEW 1245 Staff Organizers.
Meet the 1245 Organizing Staff:
Meet the Organizing Stewards:
Criteria for Appointment
- A commitment to the ideals of the union and IBEW 1245’s organizing agenda;
- Team player who works closely with IBEW 1245’s organizing team;
- Energy, enthusiasm, exemplary work ethic, respect of co-workers;
- Desire and commitment to take on an active role within the local on paid time as well as on their own time;
- Willingness and proven track record of recruiting other members to participate in organizing activities.
Activities of an Organizing Steward
Organizing Stewards are members who contribute to building the local union and the labor movement, and participate in:
- IBEW 1245 campaigns, such as contract campaigns, organizing drives, educational outreach, team building;
- Political campaigns prioritized by IBEW 1245, such as labor-related state initiatives, local elections, and Central Labor Council efforts on behalf of labor-endorsed candidates;
- Solidarity campaigns, such as efforts to support Walmart workers, and key labor battles in other states (in recent years these have included Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, Alaska and Illinois);
- Community action, such as Earth Day, Charity Bowl, IBEW unit support for charitable activities;
- Special events that educate and mobilize our members and the larger community to support worker organization and recognition of workers’ rights and dignity.
Prospective organizing stewards will be identified by Business Representatives, Organizing Staff and other Organizing Stewards. Members are also encouraged to express interest to their Business Representative or co-workers already involved. Once identified, candidates will be vetted by their Business Representative in consultation with the Organizing Staff, using the criteria mentioned above.
Organizing Stewards will participate in regular trainings, seminars, campaigns and online education.
Just as in the case of Shop Stewards and Safety Stewards, Organizing Stewards are appointed positions. Formal appointment will be executed by IBEW 1245 Business Manager and President at the recommendation of the organizing staff in consultation with Business Representatives. For more information, contact our staff organizers.
Check out this video from 2014 to learn more about the organizing stewards and their work.