Work remains very steady
Outside Construction Report
By Ron Cochran
Work remains very steady. There is a little of everything going on right now, from pole replacement work to thermostat replacement work with a lot in between.
Local 1245 has created a level playing field for all the contractors to work from with PG&E’s help through LA09-41.
We are starting to see some contractors using Inside rates for Outside work in the substations. It seems someone is always trying to game the system to gain a competitive advantage. This issue has escalated to the National NECA level and we are wasting man-hours dealing with this. We find it very intriguing that the contractor in question had no PG&E work until LA09-41 was executed and now has just a small amount of work. It all boils down to greed.
The 50MW phase of the PG&E Solar Projects is just starting to ramp up. Cupertino Electric was awarded two of the sites with the third to be determined. Cupertino has sub-contracted some of the work out to Machado & Sons, KVA, TTR and Underground Construction. We expect when all 3 solar projects are going that they will employ upwards of 300-400 members.
We’ve signed the following contractors in the month of August:
- Integrity Data & Fiber Inc — Communication & Installer Agreement
- Peter’s Drilling & Pump Service, Inc — One-time PLA to the OSL agreement
There is a lot of activity, with around a dozen grievances at Step I and Step II. A couple of Grievances have advanced to Step III. For the most part the NVE AMI project has not gone very well; it borders on a hostile work place. We‘re getting several phone calls a day from that project. We recently fought two different OSL termination cases that involved apprentice linemen. Both cases were overturned. We have a wrongful termination grievance headed into Step 4 of the process against OSMOSE Utility Services, which centers around an employee not meeting the company- imposed daily quotas. Paycheck issues are also occurring on a routine basis and we continue to work through those issues as they arise and we are made aware of them.
PG&E Hiring Hall
The PG&E Hiring Hall still remains somewhat chaotic with all the calls coming through. There have been a few Hiring Hall Special Agreements made in the past few months, all where recommended by the local area business representatives and approved.
OHSA ETD Classes: Members can sign up in our dispatch office for any up-coming classes offered through the Cal-Nev JATC. Members will be contacted directly by the JATC regarding dates and location of future trainings. Future classes will be held at the Hedge Road facility.
First Aid & CPR is the 2nd Saturday of every month at our Riverside and Sacramento facility.
- International Lineman’s Rodeo — October 10-14, Overland Park, KS.
- Golf Tournament — October 20, Vacaville, CA.
Injured Workers Fund
The balance as of was July 31, 2012 $474, 166.13. We had no claims submitted in the month of August.
Out of Work Books as of Aug. 31, 2012
|As of Aug 31, 2012
|Year to Date
We currently have 285 outside line apprentices registered in our JATC program
- 3 traveling apprentice working in our jurisdiction.
- 99 apprentices are working out of Local 1245
- 149 are working out of Local 47
- 16 are working out of Local 396
- 24 are off of work (3 are on disability – 10 are on leave of absence)
- 27 apprentices have graduated this year to journeyman lineman.
- 14 outside line apprentices have been indentured this year.
We have 3 traffic signal maintenance apprentices registered.
- 1 is working for Republic Electric in Local 1245’s jurisdiction.
- 2 are working for Republic Electric in Local 47’s jurisdiction.
- 17 traffic signal apprentices have graduated this year.
Ron Cochran is Senior Assistant Business Manager, IBEW Local 1245